Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Smells and Tastes of Childhood

     Certain smells and tastes linger in my head from childhood.  All of them influenced me on my journey.
My earliest positive memories of food are visiting my grandma in Connecticut and waking up to cinnamon French toast.  She would make as much as I wanted.  The warm syrup, butter and cinnamon smells mixed with the searing of the egg batter and is one of the moments I reflect on to soothe my inner soul.
     My mom on the other hand had a knack for burning the tuna noodle casserole. Whether this happened a lot or just once it has stuck in my head as one of the main reason that I learned to cook for myself. To this day I detest the smell and taste of this classical American casserole.
     As a child of divorce I grew up the proverbial "latchkey" child.  One of the simplest tastes that I acquired was cereal and milk.  It was fast and easy.  Being a hyperactive child my cereals were sugar-free or low sugar in type so I came to love the natural nutty grain flavors.  "Uncle Sam", "Cheerios", "Shredded Wheat" were just a few.  If I was lucky I had "Raisin Bran" or "Granola".
     Although this is neither taste or smell I remember as a child living on Oaklawn in Bryan, Texas.  We had a round kitchen table.  On this table we had painted plates, knife, fork and spoon for each setting along with glass rings.  This was my initial education to setting a proper table.  The more I reflect the more I can see that cooking, restaurants, hospitality are in my blood and a deep seated part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment