Monday, June 4, 2012

2012 June: The first week

The first week of my new job as Executive Chef of the hotel has been something of a challenge with a multitude of opportunities.  I assessed the equipment on the line and we have about 40% functionality maybe 50% after some deep cleaning and fine tuning.  The staff overall has a super work ethic except for the usual 10% that will be dealt with very soon.  Scheduling issues out of my control this month will make for some unique training and shift ideas to make it successful.  The first few banquets that I had went off without a hitch and got nice reviews.

There is still a general lack of organization throughout the whole establishment not just the restaurant. so the challenges are many but so are the rewards.  This first week I worked around 90 hours and stayed two nights at the hotel due to closing the kitchen and opening the next day for AM banquets.  Not something I want to keep doing.. I am not 20 anymore and after about 60 hours I start to get pains, after about 70 hours I lose focus and it is harder to get the good desired results and efficiency that I need to get things accomplished.

Inventory was a major deal, and the form I had was from 2010 so I am going to have to update all the prices to current or boy-howdy will my numbers be off. It's funny but not really.  I decided to recreate a system all my own that makes sense and will allow me to get the job done in half the time.

Today is the one day I will get off for week #2 but I am making good use of it.  The first part of next week will be to finish the revamped menus...Simple, super easy and hopefully successful with the staff and equipment that I have... Once we get that mastered we can work on fancy and fresh.  Already made a lot of progress but so far to go..  It's like make the climb on Mt. Everest.  I have started, ou the door to the airport and flown to the Himalayas.  But I still have to get up guides, pack the llamas and make the actual hike....

See ya next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment