Saturday, March 1, 2014

Tonics, Elixirs and Potions



This week I have been experimenting with tonics.  I have one listed on my "Vegan Dinner Series" and I need a good recipe. While up in Maine I ventured to DuckFat and had a house made tonic. It was fabulous. So I have been experimenting with various herbal blends, with and without vinegars, sparkling water etc. I imagine myself as an old time snake oil salesman, developing my magic elixir of healing.



The Vagabondchef Restorative Tonic

 Yields 1 quart of Tonic

1 Tb   Green Cardamom
1 Tb   Panchipuri Spice Mix
8 ea    Whole Clove
2 Tb   Chopped Ginger Fresh
2 Tb   Cacao Nips
1/2 t   Black Cumin
1 ea    Whole Lemon cut in half
1/2 t   Fennel Seed
1/4 c   Mint leaves
1/8 t   Cayenne
4 t      Stevia leaf
1 t     Balsamico Vinegar - The thicker the better - don't skimp here. (or anywhere)
Place all ingredients into French press of other vessel pour boiling water over top and steep




Serve hot or chill and serve iced.  To preserve the rich flavor make ice cubes from the tonic ahead of time.
A splash of sparkling water will add a nice fizz to the beverage.

Enjoy.










No comments:

Post a Comment