Thursday, August 25, 2011

2011 August: Campus Life

I am finally getting settled in to campus life.  I live in a dorm with one roommate.  It is a 12' x 20' room with two desks, two dressers, and two beds.  a small closet and a small bathroom.
For me the change was somewhat dramatic. A year ago I was living in a loft with my wife sleeping on an overstuffed queen bed in a 25' x'25' bedroom had a car and a steady income.
As of today the car is gone, Karin is living in Connecticut teaching Jr. High students math, science and computers, and I am working Part time at a bakery.
School is full time and has been fairly challenging over the last five weeks.

I have been able to sleep through the night on my small twin mattress, getting used to my roommates differing schedule.  I have joined the photography club in hopes of learning how to use my DSLR for food pics.  I have taken over the presidency of the SACE club (Students for Advanced Career Experience)  We do Saturday night street food for the students since no decent food is available on campus on the weekends.  I have begun to get active with the SGA (student Government) and participate in several other functions volunteering my time on the weekends to stay busy, get a free meal and help stave off the boredom.
Most of all I am finding that I truly miss my wife.  I did not think it would be so bad.  We made it through my externship of 4.5 months but the next 8 months are going to be tough.
Hopefully keeping myself busy will help to keep my mind on the goal of graduation and the "dream job" to come.

I wanted the campus life and now I have it full force.  Be careful what you wish for, you may get it in droves.
Roth Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment