Tuesday, August 2, 2011

2011 August: The prodigal son returns

Well, Orientation is over and I can finally rest for a moment.


the morning began at 6:30 am, I had to finish loading the car and make some juice for Karin, she was a bit under the weather.  We headed out to borrow her friends van and then we hustled down to the school so I could get ahead of everyone and move in when it was still cool.  Well we arrived at 9:30 am and were told that move in did not commence until 1 pm.  It would have been nice to know that, but it turned out that due to summer break many students did not receive the "memo".  This added tension and stress to Karin's day as she had to leave Hyde Park by 2 pm to get the van back to her friend.

We headed over to the storage unit and loaded it up, everything but my bike.  I forgot to bring the tie downs.  We then headed over to the diner for some breakfast.  That helped to alleviate a little of the stress.

Next we headed to the bakery where I work to get some video footage for the chef/weight-loss show I am auditioning for.  That was fun and I got to get back up to speed with things from the bakery.

We headed back to the school at noon to wait in line to move in.  Luckily they had started letting people move in early.  We parked and I got a dolly (yay!)  Seven loads later a bucket of sweat and most of my mental capacity and I had my dorm room loaded.

Being 45 I am used to a nice big bedroom with a King or Queen bed, with nice surroundings.  Well this is not a dorm.  The twin beds, desks and dressers were huddled in the middle of the room, the last tenants had left brooms and trashcans along with a plunger. Which was good because those were things that I did not bring, I am a guy after all.  My boxes now seemed overwhelming.  I thought I had gotten rid of so much stuff, but in reality I still need to purge so much stuff, a side project over the school year.  I barely managed to find a home for everything.  My roommate showed up with i suitcase and a laptop.  Nice.

The next morning was orientation.  Up at 6 for breakfast, no wait 6:15, no 6:30, no 6:45...Didn't get very good sleep last night, my roommate was doing laundry at 1 am.  Well I wanted to experience dorm life. So here it is in full force right off the bat.

I showed up for the Post extern meeting at 7:30 but it had been moved to 9:30, once again, no one had been informed of the changes.  Hours passed, orientation speeches went on and on.  Welcome back speeches, Lines for the bursars office, lines for the registrars office, lines for the nurse and for uniforms and a 50# box of books to haul around as well.  By the time lunch rolled around I was famished.  Wow, It is amazing how much I missed the smells of the kitchens and the warm comfy sight of lunch at the CIA.

Classes for the next six weeks include: Restaurant Law, Nutrition, Menu Concept and Design, Cost Control and Purchasing, and Into to Management. Gonna be interesting to say the least.

Well It's back to the dorm for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment