Tuesday, July 12, 2011

1981-1982 Summer: Store #64 and the Beaches of Galveston

     The summers of 1981 and 1982 was the first time I had worked at a formal job.  Before that I had always had my own business.  Lawn mowing, lemonade stands, selling seeds and greeting cards door to door.  These had all paid intermittently but it was time for me to get a "steady job".
I went down to the local restaurant row.  the Meadows was a suburb of Houston and this street had all the ususal suspects for that time.  Taco Bell, Wendy's, McDonald's, Dairy Queen, Schlotsky's and few Mexican places that only hired immigrants.  So I chose Wendy's.  They made everything fresh every morning and i would start at $7 an hour as a closer.  SI began to work the line, make burgers all day and clean the griddle and the fryers at night.  We would have contests to see who could work the fastest and neatest.  By the end of the summer I had become the lead closer and was making $8 an hour.  The first summer was a blur of 60 hour weeks and no days off.
  
     The second summer at Wendy's was where the memories are.  I started as the lead closer for the summer.  My friend Jon Vermillion had taken a job at Taco Bell as a closer as well.  And then there was Jasper.  He had a Camero.   We would work all week, staying up all night and sleeping all day.  then on the weekend five of us would climb into the car and head to the beaches of Galveston.  We would play on the beach until Monday morning and head back to work Monday night.  This went on for most of the summer.
   
     We were one of the lucky stores that summer (number 64) Dave had picked us as an award store.  We cleaned the walls, floors, polished the brass and got the store in top shape for his visit.  He came through with the regional managers, the district managers and the general managers. (Lots of managers) and shook all our hands, saying what a great job we were doing.

     The next summer I tried to change it up a bit.  I worked for a bit at both McDonald's and Burger King but they both fell short compared to the team spirit and freshness of products for the fast food vendors of restaurant row.

No comments:

Post a Comment