Saturday, May 14, 2011

2010 June: Introductory Classes ~ B Block at the CIA.

     After loading up the cars we set off to New York and the CIA.  We had set up some housing but had not seen it.  The drive took 3 days and went really smoothly.  Fianlly we passed from Pennsylvania into New York and my heartbeat doubled.  We drove north along the Hudson River up to Poughkeepsie and crossed the river.  We hit the Albany Post Road and I saw a little sign "Culinary Institute of America" with a little arrow.  Almost there!  We pulled onto the campus on Monday May 31st.  It was closed for the most part, but the campus dorms were open for move in day.  I walked sround amazed but with nothing open had to go find a restroom.  We started to look for our house.  It was only a mile and a half away.  Older and musty, but the landlord was really nice and the rent was a lot cheaper than many of the other renatals in the area. 

    June 1st, my 44th birthday and I off to start school at the CIA.  Orientation will last 3 days and I have to be there at 6am.  Our class started with around 75 students.  Ranging in age from 18 to 44.  We had lectures and video presentations and then lunch.  The banquet class serves the new students and the "B" blockers.  IT is a 3 course meal served by sturdent waiters with all the trappings of fine dining.  Duck, salmon, strip loin, desserts, salads that change each meal.  Dinner was anothe 3 course meal.  What a welcome!  I was amazed at how many of the young students were picky about their food and did not want to eat or try half of the food served.  By day 4 (Our first day of "B" block) about 30 kids had quit already for one reason or another.

     B block consisted of introductory classes designed to set the focus for the rest of the school year.  It lasted 6 weeks and allowed myself and the other students to get acquainted with the grounds and the daily schedule of college life.

Food Safety and Serve-safe training:  We learned about food safety and how to control food borne illness.  My instructor was a hoot with a wild sense of humor.  Although I already had my serve-safe card and I am am a certified instructor and proctor for the serve-safe class and exam I took the class to get a more indepth knowledge of this area.
Intro to Gastronomy:  A quick review of Culinary history starting with Antone Careme, Escoffier, Point and up through the modern Chefs and food styles of renown.  We followed trends and culture.  I had to do a report on Fernand Point and La Pyramide. That report is posted on this site.  I dressed up as Chef Point for the presentation.  This was a great class.
Product Identification:  Another great class.  We went over so many food items, broke them down into basic catagories and talked about all the aspects of each item.  I learned the differance between "condition" and "quality" when it comes to food specs and ordering.  We were tested on all this info in a very practical manner.  The produce was placed on the counters and we had to examine them and ID them.. Most were easy others were a little tricky. 
Writing:  Yes, writing.  It had been over 25 years since high school so for me this class was awesome.  It reeducated me on the finer points of essays and formal writing formats.  We would do daily practice paragraphs and outlines to improve mental focus.  When I started the class I was not the best writer and formal essays were something I did not look forward to.  Now, after the class I enjoy writing a whole lot more and can focus clearly on the manby papers I have had to write in school.
Restaurant Math: A pretty basic math class focusing on culinary math.  Recipe conversion ratios, Food costing, labor costing.  The basics that are needed to be successful in this business.  A chef must be able to put together a menu, cost it out and set prices in order to make a profit.  The Chef must be able to do this almost without effort as it will become a part of doing daily business when out in the real world.

I was back in school, the journey was in full swing.  What a great birthday present for a young 44 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment