Sunday, May 8, 2011

1994: Blue Heron Cafe - Lake Oswego

Nature's Fresh Northwest had just entered the Portland scene and was expanding at a fantastic rate.  Well ahead of Whole Foods and Wild Oats.  They had also ventured into the restaurant business.  Sante' was their flagship and The Blue Heron was a thriving Deli-Cafe in Lake Oswego.  Besides being a free standing eatery it was also the commissary for all the delis in the Nature's network.  I was the Sous Chef and ran the lunch line.  The funny thing was that there was no chef here.  Sous Chef with no Chef? It was a dilemna but what can you do with the way corporations title things.  Not much.  I got great bonuses and loved the job.  It was a very ethnically diverse kitchen.  I worked here developing my skill and living in Gresham with Valarie.  Rich and Helen were our house mates and Rich had been in contact with his Grandfather.  He approached me one day.
"So you wanna be a partner in this restaurant in Idaho?"
I had stars appear in my head and the next thing you know I uprooted my family at great expense and moved to Orofino Idaho.  Some dreams are better left unfulfilled.  But hindsight is the only way to figure some of those things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment