Sunday, May 8, 2011

1996-1998/2002-2004: An Education in Beer and People - Eichardt's

Eichardt's Pub, Grill, & Coffee House combines the best of Northwest microbrews, food, coffee and local live music. Located at 212 Cedar St. Sandpoint, Idaho in an historic downtown building, you will find an eclectic lunch and dinner menu, and new specials every day. We feature an extensive variety of hand crafted beers on tap served in our pub / restaurant at street level, and an inviting game room upstairs with pool, darts and games. Open daily at 11:30 am.

I started here as a co-chef.  Jeff and Dave wanted to attempt the idea by having a lunch chef and a dinner chef. It was short lived.  There can only be one chef in any given kitchen.  The staff that was employed there when I started was something I had never experienced.  Tie dyed shirts and Grateful Dead tapes were the norm in the kitchen along with all the culture that goes with that lifestyle.  I told the staff that the two things that they couldn't do in a kitchen was "Listen to Grateful Dead and Smoke Pot".  Did I have many lessons ahead here at Eichardt's.  The first was dealing with "people" not employees.  Within ten minutes of issuing that ultimatum, Dave one of the owners called me aside and let me know that those were two rules that I could not make here. Ah, now this was not what chef's did...or was it?
I worked at Eichardt's for a total of five years. It was both a place where my culinary passion grew and a place where I grew up as a person.  It was where my family was, my life, my home.  Not many restaurants can accomplish that with an employee, but everyone who worked/works for Jeff becomes part of the family.  It is a way of life a mindset that is unique in the food world.  But it is the main reason Eichardt's survives.  Well that and the great food and beer!

Sixteen taps loaded with craft beers, a seasonal menu supplied by many local farmers and merchants. and a loyal team bring together one of the Pacific Northwest's best experiences.

I lived in Sandpoint for ten years, had multiple addresses, even lived on the lake for a few years. This is just a small morsel of that adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment