Thursday, May 5, 2011

1990: Toaster Strudel - Kearney Sidebar 1

I was half asleep in my bedroom one morning after making do-nuts all night at the IGA.  Through me deep sleep and possible snoring I heard a blood curdling scream.
"AAAAAHHHHHH!!!", "SHAWNNNNNNNNNN"
I got up a quick as I could, still half asleep stumbling out through the living room into the kitchen where my sister stood horrified.  Pointing at the toaster with a shaking hand.  The room smelled of burnt hair and flesh.
"IT WENT OVER THERE!!!"
She pointed toward the basement door.
I was still asleep and so confused. Had she thrown her burnt toast down the stairs?
Well no.  She had gone to make toast and much to her surprise a mouse had taken up residence in the toasters base finding a yummy feast of bread crumbs.  It had caught on fire and popped out of the toaster and run across the counter and floor down into the basement in flames.
We eventually found the little buggers home and dealt with them.  And now I always out of habit check that toaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment